Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My pomp dog is going on 8 yrs. Had Cushing disease approx 4

Customer Question

My pomp dog is going on 8 yrs. Had Cushing disease approx 4 yrs..
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Her heart beat is very rapid and heavy panting. Is this common with thedisease.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she is on Vetoryl. for cushing. Is this common,she is not sleeping much.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tina
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tina?
Customer: She did have a ear ache that got clear.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Tina. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. How long has she been taking Vetoryl? Has she been taking it long enough for an ACTH stimulation test to be run on her?

2. How long has she been panting with a rapid heart rate?

3. Can you count the heart beats in one minute?

4. Did she have (or still does have) other symptoms such as increased thirst, increased urination and increased hunger?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Heart beat is very rapid, I will take her to my vet Monday. I did give her medicine later than normal today, maybe that is some of the problem. She has been on the med for 4 yrs approx., had company earlier . Her water in take or urine output is about the same.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

Since she's been taking Vetoryl for such a long time, unless her dosage amount needs to be increased, it's hard for me to imagine that her current symptoms are related to her Cushing's Disease.

Certainly dogs with this condition can experience excessive panting and possibly an increased heart rate, but it's not what I would expect from her although I suppose the delayed timing of her medication might play a role.

1. Other possible explanations might be a fever. If you have a thermometer and can take her temperature, normal is between 100 and 102.5.

2. Pain is another possible explanation, too. If she's not currently vomiting and she's not taking any nsaid medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day,with food to avoid stomach upset. I'm sometimes hesitant to suggest its use since it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe but one or two doses should be fine.

It also wouldn't be contraindicated with the Vetoryl that she's taking.

3. Excitement, anxiety, increased ambient temperature are other possible explanations, too, although the panting and increased heart rate should subside after a few hours, if not sooner.

I think a vet visit on Monday would be a good idea if she's still behaving this way.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Tina. How are things going with her? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
Hi Elaine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb