Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a small 13lb dog that got neutered on tuesday, about

Customer Question

i have a small 13lb dog that got neutered on tuesday, about 4 days ago we had to leave him on thursday or the 1st time for 2 hours..when we got home he had been licking his womb
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: ever since then there has been a red spot on the right side of his shaft i emailed a picture to his vet and she doesnt see an issue...BUT as of this morning the red spot has spread to the other side there is no oozing...just red bruising but why would it spread
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bruno
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruno?
Customer: hes still a puppy, so its been very hard to keep him still he has climbed stairs and tried to run these past days....he IS eating and drinking ok thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is it raised like a bump or more like a rash?

Any pimples, pustules, or pus?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no raised bump...like a razor burn. BUT it wasn't there before. Yes I will take a photo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

If you can and post that here, I am happy to have a peek and help you work our what you are seeing and what we can do to settle this.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok..im about to attach them now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Ok, I have my eyes peeled. :)

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
another angle
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

I have the photos and will type my reply.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Now this discoloration over the shaft and the bit on the scrotum is bruising and this isn't uncommon post neutering. The reason it seems worse today may be because he has not rested as much as he should (which is always with them being young) but also because blood under the skin does diffuse and spread out (especially under the skin since there is only fascia between it and te muscle. This is why we hurt ourselves at a certain spot but see bruises that are bigger due to diffusion.

In this case, I'd not be alarmed with this. We'd want to monitor, make sure his gums stay pink (a sign of good perfusion/circulation and there not being serious blood loss), and can gently warm compress this. That should also help with the bit of general redness he has in the area as well. And as long as we are seeing bruising else where on the body, we'd just let this settle without worry.

Kind regards, Dr. B. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. Thank you for your help. In general when does the pain start to subside? He still seems to be in pain? He took his last pain pill today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Usually we don't see much discomfort in our dogs (but then they do tend to put on brave faces and live in the present), but generally speaking I like to have my castrate patients on pain relief for 5-7 days to just ensure they are comfortable through the healing process. So, if Bruno is still a bit sore, we'd want to ring his vet and have them continue that for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
got it. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.