Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has a swollen bulbis glandis i think, paco, he's 8,

Customer Question
My dog has a swollen...
My dog has a swollen bulbis glandis i think
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: paco, he's 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about paco?
Customer: He has epilepsy, and takes phenobarbital every day. And he's a pomer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm not in a position to make a phone call at this time, but this format works better so links can be sent.

The bulbis glandis sometimes swells in male dogs and the penis can get stuck outside the prepuce (outer covering). This makes it hard for the penis to return to its normal position inside the prepuce. Or the hairs of the prepuce may have become caught preventing its retraction. This can cause problems if it is not corrected. You can try putting a little lubrication on the penis such as KY jelly and gently roll the prepuce back and forth and see if the penis will return to it’s normal position.

You can also make a saturated solution of sugar water using warm water. Mix the sugar into hot water until some sugar is left after mixing. Take a hand towel and soak it well and place it on the exposed penis. Be sure it is not too hot. This will sometime draw the fluid out of the bulbous gland and reduce the swelling allowing the penis to retract.

If the penis stays erect and will not retract using above methods, you should have him seen by the vet. The vet may have to put the dog under anesthetize to lubricate and return the penis to it’s normal position. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/paraphimosis-and-phimosis/page1.aspx

Now if it is swollen inside the prepuce, it will go down on its own, usually between 5 and 30 minutes. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.