Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

I have a two week old newborn puppy. His mom abandoned him.

Customer Question

I have a two week old newborn puppy. His mom abandoned him. The problem he's having is that he hasnt pooped in three days despite me taking a washcloth and rubbing his anus multiple times a day. It's gotten to the point now where he cries terribly when I do it at night...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that this little pup has been abandoned by his mom:(

It may (or may not) surprise you to know that constipation issues are commonly seen problems in newborn pups, especially if they're being fed milk replacers. In those situations, I recommend that more water be added to the formula (usually 25%) than the label suggests.

If he's not producing stool when you rub his anal area and it's been three days, then you'll probably need to be a bit more proactive.
So, what you can do is give him a gentle warm water enema which is very effective for loosening the firmer/harder stool in the colon. If you're not familiar with the procedure you'll take a small syringe (about 3 ml's) or possibly an eye dropper or something similar. Lubricate the end of it and his rectum really well with K/Y or Vaseline or even cooking oil. Gently insert it about 1/4-1 inch (depending on the size of the pup) into the rectum and squirt the warm water into him. It may take several applications if he's badly constipated.

This is a very effective and yet safe method of helping with this problem.

After you're done, you'll gently clean his anal area with warm water and then you can apply a small amount of cortisone ointment to the area if it's red and inflamed.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your puppy. How are you making out with him? Deb