Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has two acl on the back legs going to see a

Customer Question

Hi my dog has two acl on the back legs going to see a specialist this week we are helping her walk with a towel but she hasn't been for a wee for36 hours the vet this am seemed to think it wasn't a problem she is making a lot of pre noises just a bit worried I think it's coz she can't squat but not sure
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this isn't an uncommon situation for our ACL compromised dogs. Often they will urine hold due to discomfort and inability to squat comfortably. As well, some pain medications can cause urinary retention.

In this case, as long as she hasn't any neurological/spinal issues, we'd not be worried unless she cannot pass urine within 48 hours. Therefore, we'd want to keep taking her out with the aid of the towel (hourly if possible). As you do, also do gently putting pressure on her bladder (between her back legs). This can gently encourage her to stop holding and hopefully will get her to pass urine. But if she cannot or seems lethargic or uncomfortable in her belly, then we'd need Leyla seen by her local vet as she may need to be gently expressed or even catheterized to empty her bladder for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you I just took her out and she sniffed around but wouldn't go I will try her again in a bit she is whining now so maybe comfortable
Thanks very much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

It is a case of persistence and patience, but if she can settle just now then it is ok to just monitor and then try on her next outing.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.