Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My 9 year old staffie has bad breath and a hacking cough,

Customer Question

my 9 year old staffie has bad breath and a hacking cough , started 2 days ago shes eating and drinking normal and happy not unwell atall ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: beau
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about beau?
Customer: she has a grass pollen allergy in summer
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. thank you

A bad odor to the breath typically indicates an infection or severe inflammation in the mouth. Because Beau also has a significant cough, I would be concerned about an upper respiratory infection and less likely a mild pneumonia. Was there any odor at all before he started coughing? There is the possibility that he has dental issues and has developed kennel cough on top of the dental disease.

If you have not already, take a look in his mouth at the outside of the teeth on both sides. If anything looks abnormal, then please send a picture.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the odour was there before cough
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no thanks i think im going to book her in to the vets as you have made me a bit concerned

So it is likely that she has some dental disease and may not have a respiratory irritant or an infection. I was not trying to concern you, I apologize. I just wanted to cover the possibilities. It is a great idea to have her evaluated by your local veterinarian. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for several days, even after rating my response. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm