Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I have a boxer that is 8 months old. Yesterday I left the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a boxer that is 8 months old. Yesterday I left the house for a few minutes to get creamer and when I came home the dog didn't move and whined occasionally. He's usually full of energy and running and jumping, so at first I thought he hurt a leg. But I noticed that he wasn't eating, except for certain treats, and wouldn't drink unless I brought water to him. He walks ok most of the time but then will suddenly whine and lay down. When we go out he was eating grass like crazy. The first time he vomited up a lot, about three cups worth of food. Since then it's only grass.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: i hit return by accident, I'm sorry. I took him to the local vet who did an X-ray and didn't see anything. Then he gave him a shot that's supposed to relax his gi tract, but he's still acting lethargic and trying to eat grass
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to address your concerns about your puppy... The top concern for curious puppies that have sudden/acute gastrointestinal symptoms is ingestion of a poison/household toxin and/or ingestion of a foreign object that may be causing a GI obstruction. Not all foreign objects that are ingested can be visualized on x-ray however. At this point in time, since his lethargy has not improved and he is still vomiting and eating grass (a symptoms of stomach upset), you will need to take him in to your veterinarian again for additional diagnostics so the proper treatment can be started.

I would recommend comprehensive blood work be completed (including a complete blood count, blood chemistry and urinalysis) which will to evaluate infectious/inflammatory process and most importantly organ function in the event of a toxin exposure/ingestion). I also would recommend repeating the stomach x-ray to determine if gas pattern has changed from the previous x-ray yesterday. Your puppy should be kept for the day on intravenous fluids and vomiting medications during this time. If blood work and x-rays are inconclusive, an "exploratory" stomach may be warranted to evaluate the stomach and entire GI tract for foreign objects, functional obstruction (such as intussaception) or perforation of the gut.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Hello, I am just checking in to check on your puppy?? Let me know if you have additional questions about anything? Also, please take the time and considerate gesture to rate our conversation as "excellent" so I may receive payment for answering your question?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ola Barrett