Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 1 year old pitbull. He has his tail tucked between

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old pitbull. He has his tail tucked between his legs. Won't eat. Keeps whonninh Whinning* and won't let anyone near that area
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes we have look and hi bum his legs and feet he just won't let us near his tail. And he's getting more and more protective. Last night we could look tonight we can't even get near him
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Koda
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Koda?
Customer: He can't really sit or lay down comfortably.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I didn't understand correctly. What area is he protective of?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His tail and under his tail

Has he torn up any toys lately? Ingested anything he shouldn't have?

Any scooting behavior?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No.

I am concerned that this might be his anal glands bothering him. Many dogs will stop eating, avoid defecating if they can and will become sensitive about anyone being near the anal tissues. As he shows no signs of feeling unwell aside from avoiding food, we can assume that this may be due to discomfort and not illness. I would recommend taking him by your vet's office to have this area briefly examined by a nurse and the glands expressed, if needed. If he continues to act this way, a physical exam with a veterinarian will be necessary.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800