Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Bassett Hound 8 years old. X-rays show fluid in the lungs.

Customer Question

Bassett Hound 8 years old. X-rays show fluid in the lungs. Sneezing, colored mucus out of nose, sometimes breathing difficulties. Been on Primor Tabs 600 MG 1 2X & Chlorpheniramine 4 mg 2 2X daily. Not better. Need help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Buster
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: Over weight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buster. Because he's also sneezing with a discolored nasal discharge it's reasonable to assume that the fluid seen in his lungs represents an infectious pneumonia. I do have to rule out congestion due to heart failure and non-cardiogenic congestion (pneumonia is the most common of the non-cardiogenic congestion disorders). There are two major considerations at this time...

1) If Primor has been administered for a week and no improvement has been seen, it needs to be discontinued and another broad spectrum antibiotic prescribed. Antibiotics of choice when addressing bacterial pneumonia include ampicillin or cefazolin plus either enrofloxacin or amikacin.

2) An antihistamine such as chlorpheniramine is contraindicated when pneumonia is present. The drying action of antihistamines will make it more difficult for Buster to clear his lungs of exudate and infectious organisms.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Discontinuing Primor and antihistamine. Add antibiotic. Will this be enough to rid bacterial pneumonia? If so, how long will it take? Does he need to go to the Animal Hospital or advise current vet of your advise so med's can be changed?

You're welcome to share our conversation with Buster's vet who ultimately must make the decision how to proceed. A minimum of two weeks of the proper antibiotic should be provided for patients suffering from a bacterial pneumonia. He doesn't need to be hospitalized unless ancillary care (IV fluids, force feeding, supplemental oxygen) is needed. I regret that I can't prognose accurately without knowing more about Buster's history - how long he's been ill, prior illnesses, co-existing disorders - and how severe changes are in his X-rays.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have shared with our current vet. He says the x-rays don't show pneumonia. He is advising we go to an internist. He would be willing to change medicine, but believes he need to see the internist.Buster has been sick for a month. No prior illness.

Thank you for the additional information. I don't know why an antibiotic would be prescribed if pneumonia isn't present - for the sneezing/nasal discharge? His fluid in his lungs is due to unknown causes? Yes, another vet should take a look at Buster and I would never argue with his seeing a specialist veterinary internist. If only I could look at the X-rays...I don't believe I can be of much value to you. I'm flying blind.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?