Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

She injured her left rear leg a couple weeks ago, the vet

Customer Question

she injured her left rear leg a couple weeks ago, the vet thinks its a partial acl tear not full. She has seemed better the last week but tonight I noticed her right (non injured leg) is swollen and warm.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yeah I don't see anything and she does not seem to be in pain when I mess with it.
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: No, is there anything else I should do for the night before I take her to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 10 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you. Is Bailey on any medications from the other injury? Where on the leg is the swelling?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no other medications. Her foot, knee, and thigh are swollen.

oh no! There could be lots of things going on there - you could try some cold packs with a thin towel between the cold pack and the skin.

I definitely agree with getting back in to the vet tomorrow to asses whether this is a musculoskeletal problem vs a systemic problem, like tick borne disease or allergic reaction.

Let me know how I can help further!

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there any reason that you could think of that would cause this to happen to her non injured leg? She was more active then normal today, could that cause her to over exhert the leg that is not injured and cause this?

She could certainly have been a bit too active today, causing some inflammation in her right limb, especially since she has probably been bearing more weight on that leg lately with the recent injury in her other leg.

I think its unusual that there is swelling in multiple places though. That could indicate fluid build up, immune mediated arthritis, which affects multiple joints, or something like an allergic reaction.

X rays or bloodwork may be indicated here. At the very least, your vet could prescribe some anti inflammatories.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you and understood I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow unless the swelling is gone in the am. What I am trying to figure out is how to take care of her tonight and or what to look for. If it is a allergy isn't it strange to only be effecting one of her legs? Is there anything else that would show if it is a allergy? Either way what should I look for to make sure its not a emergency tonight? My main concern is that she is good for the night.

I understand your concern. Can you check her gums - make sure they are pink and moist? We don't usually see swelling in just one leg as a symptom of allergic reactions, but I can't rule it out because they can look like anything! I would assess her gums, make sure she is breathing normally, and able to move around comfortably.

You could also take her temperature rectally if you feel comfortable doing so.

Dr. Snow

normal temperature in a dog is anywhere from 98.5 - 102.5

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** of her gums that are not black are pink and moist. She is breathing fine her nose is wet and she is
moving around fine except for the limp she has had for a couple of weeks.

Ok, that all sounds very promising. :) Please post back with any further questions/updates!

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome. I hope I was helpful to you - please update us tomorrow and please kindly rate me. :)

How is Bailey today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-l1pkyf4n-