Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is about 40 pounds. Today I found an empty xanax

Customer Question

hello. My dog is about 40 pounds. Today I found an empty xanax bottle in my yard that he must have gotten into. The pills are .25 mg and I am unsure of how much he may have had. This had to have happened yesterday or the day before because I was with him the entire day. He is acting completely normal and is playful as usual. Should I call my vet or wait it out and see how he feels?
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: He doesnt seem to be in any pain and is acting normally.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: Recently I have switched him from iams to blue bufallo
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is Candy
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. I am reviewing your question and will be right with you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great, thanks Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.

Good news is that if he were going to have any complications from this drug you should have seen them within 12 hours of ingestion.

If this happened more then 24 hours ago and you are not seeing any problems then I do not think there is any cause for alarm. Hopefully the bottle was empty or they ended up on the ground.

Its is always good to call your vet and just let them know what happened so they can add it to his medical chart but I doubt they would want to see him. I suspect he is going to be fine.

In rare cases overdose can result in damage to the liver but he would shows symptoms such as vomiting, loss of appetite or lethargy or pain in the abdomen. It does not sound like this is the case here so I would not be too concerned.

I hope this helps ease your mind, Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks so much. He doesn't generally like to take pills, so I'm thinking that he maybe spit them out or they fell out of the bottle. I will make sure to call my vet tomorrow. Thank you!
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome. That is a pill that seems to be bitter so I would not expect him to just chew them up. Give him a good pet from me and tell him no more eating things he shouldn't.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Haha, I will. Thank you