Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 14 month old wirehaired Vizsla. He hasn't been

Customer Question

I have a 14 month old wirehaired Vizsla. He hasn't been eating well the last two days (Nothing to eat today). He has been a little tired, but acting normal otherwise. This evening he vomited a small amount that was pinkish and foamy. We have been treating him with probiotic and tylan powder for GI inflammation that has been under control for the last 6 weeks. His last stool this morning looked normal. Any recommendations?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
7:26am Update: I just feed him a boiled chicken breast w/ oatmeal and he ate very well. I added 1/8 tsp Tylan powder and some probiotic. He would eat more if I gave it to him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What signs had he had with the Gi inflammation? Was it just diarrhea?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The history that got us to giving him Tulane and probiotics was Intermittent diarrhea, chronic soft stools. History of giardia as a pup.Can keep water down. Gums pink and moist. No tenderness or tension noted on pressing on his bellyPossible on eating something? Was at day care Friday so he may have had something? I did hunt with him Saturday - but he was already not eating much by then.He ate some this morning and still is acting normal. His stool was soft but not runny.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if he has had some vomiting and isn't eating properly, we'd be concerned that we may have a low grade nausea lurking here. And I would note that this could be related to something he ate, something he was exposed to at day care (ie viruses, bacteria), or secondary to lower gut inflammation if his stools are a bit soft again.

With this all in mind, we'd want to think about supportive care at this stage. To start, you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try tempting him with meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and will help with his stools. You can also add his probiotics to this and we can also add fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) to bulk the stools up if need be. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

If we use these and he settles, we are happy. Though any more vomiting, he develops belly pain or changes to his gum color, or if the appetite loss lingers, then we'd want his vet to assess him for those other concerns. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him settled and eating properly for us.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )