Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Post op 6 days from intestinal surgery from eating a tampon.

Customer Question

Post op 6 days from intestinal surgery from eating a tampon. Had first bowel movement yesterday Saturday. Husband took dog outside to go to bathroom Sunday afternoon and he ate his poop. Totally devastated as I have been doing everything correct to date. Bland food etc. I noted there was some white stuff and slimy sinu looking stuff at the one end and than fresh stool. I made the mistake not picking it up when I saw it last evening but never expected this to happen. Where do we go from here? Will it hurt him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Pat, this may not be due to hunger at all. And eating fecal matter will not harm him, especially if it's his own. Dogs have weird habits that we don't completely understand and they are certainly more prone to odd behaviors after a stressful period in their lifetime. I wouldn't get too worried about this unless it continues to happen. Each time he defecates, remove it from the yard and keep a close eye on him. Chances are the abnormalities in the stool you've seen have been due to the bland food and the surgery and this may completely resolve once he's fully recovered from the surgery.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800