Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

The outside edges of my dog's nose are hard and cracked and

Customer Question

The outside edges of my dog's nose are hard and cracked and her nose can be dry from time to time. She does lick it and I have read a previous response from yourself regarding the food, however, my dog eats Acana which is high quality. She does scratch it quite a lot but that is something she has done since we took her on and didn't cause any problems before. Can you suggest anything as she is very nervous of both travelling in cars and the vets. We are in South Africa in case that might make a difference. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. P.S. We have tried Vaseline but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. She is in otherwise good health.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It's possible your dog's nose is getting sunburned, wind burned or dried out from your heating system. You can try putting some Vaseline on it, which will help moisturize and protect it if that is the cause. However, you have tried that without any real results. There is also a condition called discord lupus that describes what you are seeing as well.

Here are links to sites with more information on discoid lupus. Some sites do go down from time to time, so I am including a few different ones.

http://www.vetinfo.com/canine-lupus-explained.html

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/discoid-lupus/page1.aspx

It might also be hyperkeratosis as well. You might try Kerasolv ointment and see if that has an affect.

Car rides can bother dogs for various reasons. The motion of the car can lead to car sickness even if a dog does not vomit. The motion sickness is causing the behavior issue. It may not be causing him to vomit, but is making him uncomfortable. Motion sickness is worse if you can't see out a window. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.

Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.

Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip.I have a dog that used to constantly pace and jump around the car as well and no training would help, but Dramamine helped even though he wasn't actually vomiting.

For anxiety, herbal rescue remedy is often used, but another option is a DAP collar that uses pheromones to calm a dog. It emits pheromones similar to those produced by a mother when nursing pups. You might try giving the medication, waiting an hour and then put him in the car and just move up the driveway slowly so he sees that it isn't the same as it is normally. He may still be anxious since he is used to it making him uncomfortable, so I would still use a DAP collar so he is calmer as well.

For the vet, the best thing is to take him into the vet's office regularly and reward him with treats. Just take him once a week and sit in the waiting room for a half hour or so each time and then leave. Giving him the rewards helps him see the Vet's office as a great place and not the place where he gets shots. The DAP collar can help for the vet office as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Jane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jess. How is everything going?

I notice that you have not viewed the answer I gave to your question. I think you will find it very helpful so I hope you can take the opportunity to view it and let me know if it was helpful.