Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I believe she ate rat poison. And already pooped and now is

Customer Question

I believe she ate rat poison. And already pooped green and now is just laying breathing heavily.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes it was rat poison. It seems like she only took a bite off the green block but not sure how much she ate
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago would she have eaten the rat poison?

Do you know the brand of rat poison it was?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think she may have eaten it yesterday and the brand is tom cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Let me type out my response, and I will be right with you.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

So, if this is the Tomcat brand, the active ingredient is usually bromethalin, which is not your standard anticoagulant rat poison that causes the blood to not clot correctly. It actually a toxin that acts on the central nervous system and causes brain swelling, seizures, lack of coordination, vestibular issues, weakness, paralysis, seizures and death. You will start to see clinical signs much sooner than with an anticoagulant poison. They can occur anywhere from 2-24 hours, where it usually takes 5-7 days for the other poisons. I would be concerned that there is some brain swelling occurring here. I would highly recommend getting her into your nearest veterinary emergency clinic to get evaluated and treated. If left untreated, it can be life threatening. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any home remedies you recommend using?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry. There are no home remedies for rat poison. I wish it was that easy, but there are not any home remedies for most poisons.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.