Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog had surgery on Monday morning and is on pain

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: my dog had surgery on Monday morning and is on pain medication she is panting excessively and whining
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: would the panting an dwhining be a sign of pain
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: yes - she ate a little bit yesterday morning and throughout the day but the vet said to expect that
JA: The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that.
Customer: digest what?
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: what does the excessive panting mean for a dog a day after surgery
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl who is panting now after having surgery yesterday. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. The panting could be due to a number of things here, but given it is in combination with whining and after surgery yesterday, yes - my main concern would be that your girl is in pain. You haven't stated which surgery your girl has had, but it is quite likely she needs some veterinary pain relief from the vet surgeon who carried out the procedure on your girl. If she is continuously panting and whining right now, then I would definitely encourage you to get your girl to your local ER vet where they can assess her and give her a pain relief injection such as an opioid based drug like buprenorphine. We also have to consider some other cause here, and as such, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes & capillary refill time tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

As above, if this panting continues tonight, it really would be best for you to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi Chloe,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc