Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We have a husky/malamute who is probably about 9-10 years

Customer Question
old, and has always been...
We have a husky/malamute who is probably about 9-10 years old, and has always been high energy, but suddenly a few weeks ago, I noticed she was lethargic on walks and appearing to stumble occasionally. She bounced back for a few days and now is exhibiting same behavious behavious r
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Should I take her to our vet?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not really. That's what's going on. Nothing has changed in her environment ornutrition I've never used this website. Is this like Teledoc?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she otherwise normal, no problems with eating and drinking?
2) Is she on any medications?
3) Any leg trembling? difficulty rising or lying down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's less excited to eat. Normally, she's bouncing off the walls when it's time to eat. No medications. I wouldn't say leg trembling. I looks to me like her legs, individually give out a little when walking causing a little stumble. Seems ok getting up and down.

It sounds like she is likely dealing with some arthritis and it would be wise to have her examined. At this age, your concern is quite common and although we may not see outright pain the signs of discomfort are there. Your vet will likely want to perform and exam and may want to also perform x-rays. Canine-safe NSAIDs, with or without pain medication, may be recommended to help alleviate the discomfort she's experiencing. Typically once starting these medications, you should see a vast improvement in symptoms within 24-48 hours.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there's nothing we can accomplish here other than to recommend going to our vet?

If you wish to try something from home, I would look at glucosamine supplements (takes a few weeks of daily usage to help) and also possibly aspirin. We can use this in a pinch, but my biggest concern here is that with her being less excited to eat and adding in a medication known to cause GI concerns that more problems may be caused by home treatment. You'll find the aspirin dosing info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

As asked in your original questions "Should I take her to our vet?". My suggestion there would be yes.

Checking in. How is your companion doing?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian