Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has ascites but with normal liver and kidney function

Customer Question

My dog has ascites but with normal liver and kidney function and CBC. Ultrasound confirmed ascites and hyper active intestinal motility. My dog's appetite is unchanged, eats well. What could be the problem? Btw She was given oral dewormer, antibiotic for a slightly elevated WBC in the ascetic fluid, liver tonic and furosemide for the fluid. Thank you kindly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did her vet collect a sample of the fluid for analysis?

If they did, what was found? What color was it?

Any known or suspected heart issues?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After the ascetic fluid was spun the rbc has settled at the bottom of the tube. Vet was not sure if he punctured a vein during the tap for sample. The only finding was a slightly elevated WBC otherwise CBC and Chem panel was ok. Stool is fine, no s/s of distress except for the bloating. Eating and drinking fine, no vomiting and sometimes regurgitate water after drinking. Also her chronic issue is dermatitis. Skin sample cultured but no mites. She's 11yrs old in 9/11.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

Now when we see ascites, there are a range of concerns we have to consider. If there was just a small volume of red blood cells, we can exclude a hemoabdomen (from internal bleeding). As well the normal organ function as well as reduces this being caused by low protein issues involving those 2 organs or secondary to profuse diarrhea.

With those aside, I have to say that its worth looking into what kind of white blood cells were found. This is because we can see lymphoma affect the gut (which may explain the motility changes), cause ascites and that often will lead to immature lymphocytes in the fluid +/- thickening of the gut itself. So, it is worth checking with her vet about those concerns. As well, if there was little found in the fluid, we’d also have to be wary of a heart issue. Though if there were a significant of cells present, then microscopic analysis may need to be done if it wasn’t already to tell you if we have any organ based cancers which could also trigger these signs without affecting the bloods. So those would be our main concerns with what you have noted and what we’d need to look into further for Lucky.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )