Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 14 year old Pom is exhibiting the classic symptom of

Customer Question

My 14 year old Pom is exhibiting the classic symptom of diabetes constant thirst. Just checking if he could take either glimiperide or metformin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: No still active, although like me, it's cost him most of his teeth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog has problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

A. Well it could be that Bear does not have sugar diabetes although this is possible. What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when first presented with a dog like yours ...

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later so you are sure exactly what is going on. A thorough clinical examination plus a quick blood test will often shed light on the matter and you can then take it from there.

B. But in answer to your question the oral diabetes drugs you mention are not effective in the dog and can cause toxicity problems, most diabetic dogs are maintained on insulin injections.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bear is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his excess drinking ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.