Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My beagle mix has eaten part of a 50mg tablet of losartan

Customer Question

My beagle ***** ***** mix has eaten part of a 50mg tablet of losartan potassium. what should I look for?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if Russell will be able to digest that. How old is Russell?
Customer: he is about 9 or 10months old. he is about 25-30lbs
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?
Customer: He seems a little calmer than normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog.

How long ago did he ingest this drug?

And, about how much of it did he eat? 1/2, 1/4th, etc?

Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just noticed the open bottle so I am sure about how long ago? I would within the last half hour. I think less than half a tablet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

The adverse effects for this drug when used clinically in dogs is not known and in a potential overdose situation, even less is known, unfortunately. It can be used in dogs although it's not commonly prescribed at a dose of about 15 mg for a dog this size; if he ingested less than 1/2 of a 50 mg tablet, then I wouldn't consider this to constitute a significant toxicity issue for him.

If you want to induce vomting since it's only been about 30 minutes, you could do so if you have 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it shoudl bubble and fizzle). The dose for a dose this size would be 3 teaspoons mixed with bread. Walk him around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes, if necessary. Not all dog will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If you're unsuccessful and/or don't have peroxide, then I'd monitor him for balance issues or weakness. If any should develop, then a vet visit would be prudent.

More than likely, I suspect he's going to be just fine, though. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Never mind I got answer without paying for it. It is nice to know I can get answer without someone that has the concern for the animal and not their pocket book
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

I'm glad that it sounds as if your dog is going to be ok which is obviously the most important thing.

I'll ask my moderator to close this question so that you won't be charged for it then.

Best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb