Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I think she got to much wormer. How much is it going to

Customer Question
i think she got to...
i think she got to much wormer
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: how much is it going to cost
JA: It's only $5 .
Customer: ok
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: shaky and wobn\bly wobbly it has been since six oclock last night when she was wormed
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ruby
JA: How old is ruby?
Customer: five months if that
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about ruby?
Customer: no she is about five months old and she got wormed with ivermectin paste and the tube stuck and too much came out and she got most of it we tried to get a lot out she smells like diarreha
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
11/6/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

It does sound like she is experiencing symptoms of an ivermectin overdose. In addition, there are many breeds that have a hypersensitivity to Ivermectin and should not have it used for deworming purposes. These dogs include herding breeds and carry the MDR1 mutation. Read more on ivermectin toxicity here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/ivermectin-toxicity-in-dogs

Unfotunately, since this occurred last night we can not induce vomiting to try and reduce the exposure. Since she is experiencing symptoms, she needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible for supportive care.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what can we do to help her

There really isn't any home care you can give at this time. If it had just happened we could have induced vomiting and administered charcoal and reduced exposure but since it happened last night, she really needs to be seen by your vet. They can provide supportive care and dkeep your dog hydrated, warm and help with seizure activity if necessary.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.