Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 13 week old puppy who had diarrhea this morning

Customer Question
Hi I have a 13...
Hi I have a 13 week old puppy who had diarrhea this morning with some blood. She is acting completely normal and hasn't thrown up at all.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I caught her eating cat poop yesterday and she had peanut butter last night but other than that no
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zada
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Zada?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
11/4/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any changes in her diet? new food? new treats? bones? human food?
2) Did the diarrhea begin just today?
3) When was her last vaccine and fecal exam with your vet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) no besides peanut butter last night and catching her eating cat poop.
2) yes just now and she only went once but it looked like there was some blood in it
3) I rescued her and have not received any of this information yet

Where did she come from? Was the rescue a 501c3 non-profit entity or was this a layperson who needed to find her a new home?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is a non profit

Perfect. It shouldn't take very long to receive vetting history, but you need this info to know when and what was performed. Without knowing this, the risk of non-vaccination or intestinal parasites being overlooked increases as a risk and we can see that puppies become ill very quickly without such vet care (or with vet care being overdue).

For now, let's assume the peanut butter and kitty delicacies were probably the cause of the bloody diarrhea.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

If you see any vomiting: administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

Without vomiting, you can start with a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian