Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My Belgian Shepherd/Lab puppy, Bruno, is six months old. He

Customer Question

My Belgian Shepherd/Lab puppy, Bruno, is six months old. He currently weighs 13K/ 28lbs. He is quite slender and long. When I rescued him, he was covered with ticks. I got rid of the ticks and he seemed fine for a few weeks, then he became lethargic and had no interest in playing or eating. A trip to the vet confirmed he had hookworms and parvo. He was hospitalized for three days and treated for both conditions.
He seemed fine after he got back home, but just two days ago, he suddenly began to act differently, He no longer seemed interested playing or doing his puppy naughtiness. I noticed that when he walked, he seemed somewhat uncertain of what to do next. His gait seemed wavering and he actually fell forward on his chin. This happened two other times. When he now has the attacks, he will walk uncertainly, circle, and then lie down.
I took him back to the vet where he was checked out again. All his organs on palpating were "normal." His blood count showed that he was anemic: HBC-5.15x10^12/L; HCT-33.1%; HGB-10.9 g/dL. His RDW was high at 8.3%, as were his MONO 3.03, and EOS at 2.17. All his other values were normal.
He received two shots at the vet's, (not sure if these are the description on the invoice)alanine aminotransferase, Imizol, and a week's supply of doxycycline and a Nexgard tablet. The shots were of tick fever and infection. He got the first of the antibiotic this morning (after spitting it out twice!)
He still eats well; however, I have discovered him eating dirt on several occasions, and as he is an outside dog (he lives in Jamaica) he eats any insect he can catch. I can't seem to stop him from doing that!
Sometimes he seems fine; he will still run, but he is definitely not the same active puppy I had before. Is there something else that might have been overlooked?
I feed him home-cooked food: rice, cornmeal, meat-usually chicken with the neck bones, vegetables cooked in beef marrow bones broth, and occasionally, beef liver.
Should I supplement with a puppy vitamin/mineral? Is there something else I can do? He goes back to the vet in 14 days.
Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These conditions ..parvo and hookworms can run havoc with Bruno's system and can make him weak die to blood loss and the damage done to his digestive tract. This may take awhile on such a young dog as Bruno for him to get over. His immune system has been compromised and this can allow other invaders to cause Bruno even more problems. I would certainly recommend a Multi vitamin for sweet Bruno to help with his recovery along with the good food and rechecks with your vet if there does not seem to be improvement with the treatment that was given.

Give Bruno more time...he is young and has suffered conditions that can cause damage that his body can repair but this may take some time,.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****