Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We are looking to adopt a dog but we have a pool. What is a

We are looking to adopt...
We are looking to adopt a dog but we have a pool.What is a good dog to have which would keep out of pool?We were thinking of a Jack Russel or similar sized dog.
Here in Arizona see many cattle dogs and cattle dog mix.
What is a cattle dog?
Also I was told that terriers of all types like land and don't like water. True?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/29/2016
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Perhaps the easiest approach will be working with a rescue to find a dog that has had experience living around a pool without much interest. Terriers are 'earth dogs' but plenty of them love to play in water and being present in a pool is no different. Terriers tend to be energetic dogs and, thus, take to water sports naturally. Really, this comes down to a dog's individual preference and not their breeding.

Cattle dogs are any breed of dog intended to assist in maintaining, observing and herding livestock. This can be anything from the Australian Cattledog to Catahoulas. The term simply applies to a job and, like terriers who like water, it doesn't have nearly as much to do with a breed as it does the job they do. I have witnessed dachshunds and other smaller breed dog types be just as active in livestock jobs as have medium and larger breed dogs.

If you have a certain breed of dog or size of dog you're interested in adopting, reach out to rescues and see if they can help pair you with the right dog who has grown up around a pool and has a decent respect for them. If you do not already have a fence, you will need to ensure that the dog is watched so they do not fall into the pool and are unable to get out. As well, dogs are known to find their own entertainment with pool equipment and floats, so watching them closely while they're outside is important to avoid destruction of possessions.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Checking in, JACustomer. Did you have additional questions?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse