Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog Cavalier 24.8 pounds was just prescribed Baytril

Customer Question

My dog King Charles Cavalier 24.8 pounds was just prescribed Baytril 150mg for possible urinary tract infection I gave her half a tab about half an hour ago and she's panting tongue Out eyes bulged. I gave her water. I gave her A little peanut butter with a pill and she had four treats but didn't want to eat her food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations King Charles Cavalier can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is King Charles Cavalier?
Customer: 5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about King Charles Cavalier?
Customer: She's also been peeing on herself kind of weird for the past two weeks or so but my veterinarian said I had to get a urine sample which I couldn't do today
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your KCCS. When addressing a urinary tract infection, enrofloxacin should be dosed at 5-10 mg/lb once daily (the dose can be divided and given twice daily) which would be 125 - 250 mg daily for her. When used in this manner, adverse effects are usually limited to GI distress (vomiting, anorexia). In dogs, rare incidences of elevated hepatic enzymes, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), seizures, depression, lethargy, and nervousness have also been reported. Hypersensitivity reactions could potentially occur and I might conjecture that her panting and bulging eyes represented such a reaction. Of course, the enrofloxacin might also be a red herring. Panting and bulging eyes aren't symptoms pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.

You shouldn't have been asked to collect urine from your dog. It's not a sterile manner in which to do and would confound the diagnosis if bacteria were found in her urine. We wouldn't know if the bacteria were a contaminant or truly from her urinary tract. The proper and most sterile manner in which to obtain urine is to perform a cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall. If her vet is uncomfortable performing a cystocentesis it would be best to find a vet hospital in which it's performed regularly as the standard of care.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?