Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog had a growth on his chin that was very little, almost

Customer Question

My dog had a growth on his chin that was very little, almost the size of a big pimple. I was puppysitting at the time and apparently the puppy got rough and bit at my dog's chin and the bump was gone and a bit bloody. Well it started growing back and is now a bit bigger, about the size of an m&m. It doesnt appear to affect him but he doesnt seem to like me messing with it. It is not hard, but a little soft.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Kelly,

Hopefully this is something very minor for Chief, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Adult dogs commonly get small skin tags abscesses, soft warts, cysts and various other non malignant bumps and lumps, the majority of them are absolutely nothing to worry about at all. I frequently am asked about them during vaccination consults and my usual answer is just to monitor the situation and if you see any changes such as more rapid growth or changes in colour and texture then have the dog checked again for investigation and possible surgical removal.

2. However there are no guarantees over the internet and there is always the chance that a very few of these could be malignant and therefor a cause for concern. Accordingly if you want to be 100% safe then you should have your vet check your dog over sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Kelly,

I am just checking back in to see how Chief is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin lesion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.