Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She is 2 years old and as a result of aggressive behavior

Customer Question
with her sister, her cornea...
She is 2 years old and as a result of aggressive behavior with her sister, her cornea was scratched pretty bad and the doctor was not sure if she would need surgery if it did not heal. So she is on cream medication 3x a day and a pill for the pain 1 tab a day (1/2 tab each dose) and now it's been 2 days she does not poop and she urinated when I tried making her walk. She is weak and in pain and does walk much now. I have to see an optometrist now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no. She is weak from pain and eating and drinking very little. I have to force water down her throat and may eat a few bites throughout the day.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: peaches
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about peaches?
Customer: The exam showed a patch in the middle of her eye and they said it's possible that it could be a puncture and that there is nothing else they can do make her comfortable until I see a specialist.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
10/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

I am so sorry that Peaches is that uncomfortable. There are a few things that your local veterinarian can give you to make Peaches more comfortable, besides the oral pain medication. First, Atropine drops for her eye would help with the discomfort from an ulcer. It dilates the pupil and decreases the pressure on the cornea where the injury is. Second, they can do autologous serum on her eye. This means that they would pull some of her blood and spin it down. The resulting serum can be applied a couple of times daily to aid in the healing process. Third, they can give her better pain medication. It does not sound like the oral medication is enough and may also be affecting her gastrointestinal tract, making her feel even worse. What is the name of the medication she is on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neomycin & Polymyxin

That is the eye ointment. What is the name of the pain medication pill?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc - One OintmentAtropine Sulfate Ophthalmic Ointment - Second OintmentCarprofen Caplets 25mg - Pills

Okay great. She is on the atropine. That will help. If she is not eating well, then I would add Pepcid Ac 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth once daily. The Rimadyl is an anti-inflammatory that can be very hard on the stomach and cause ulceration. Pepcid Ac helps by decreasing stomach acid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I did not want her to continue in this manner before I get her to the optonitrist.

Your welcome. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian