Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Outside my min pin mouth is swollen and around his eyes,

Customer Question

outside my min pin mouth is swollen and around his eyes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: rocco 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about rocco?
Customer: I'm thinking bug bite his acting the same
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I wold like to assist you and Rocco with this issue.

What you are describing sounds like an allergic reaction. We need to start some Plain Benedryl at 1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours.

If you use liquid Benedryl or pills in this case. The pills are 25 mgs which would be for a 25 pound dog. The Pill can be divided if needed. It may be easier to use the liquid which may be easier to measure. You can use cool towels over the eyes and muzzle to help soothe and reduce the swelling, but most important to start the Benedryl to counteract the allergic reaction. If the Benedryl does not work a steroid shot at the Vet's office may be needed. Please hit reply for concerns and questions.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What kind of benedryl?
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Plain Benedtyl is what we use, also known as Dyphenhydramine. This is a link about Benedryl use in dogs: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

Liquid Benedryl is Liquid 12.5 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp) If you tell me the dogs weight I can give you dosgage in Liquid and pill form.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
11 lbs,
I gave him 25% of 25mg pill.
See how that works thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

At that weight 1/2 tablet would be safe. We can dose 1-2 mg per pound but I like to start on the low side. Please let me know how Rocco does. If I have addressed your cncerns, please take a moment to rate y service 5 stars so I can be compensated by the site.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How many times a day/days
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Every 8 hours as needed. Should be better by tomorrow. If it gets worse then Rocco needs to see the Vet for a Shot.

He may get sleepy from the Benedryl which is normal.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Did you have any more questions about this situation I can assist you with? Please follow up and let me know how Rocco does. If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars, so I can be compensated by the site for my time and answers.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I am going off for the night but wanted to check in on Rocco, before I go off. Please let me know in the morning how he is doing.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

It has been a Few days and wanted to see how Rocco is doing. Please let me kn ow if the information I supplied was helpful.

Joan