Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

The day before yesterday I noticed my dog looked a little

Customer Question
sad. he was eating and...
the day before yesterday I noticed my dog looked a little sad. he was eating and drinking water. then yesterday he was skinny and didn't eat or drink and when I gave him pedialyte he threw up some white slimy stuff
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: and last night he pooped up blood once and today he pooped a little bit it was a dark brownish redish color. he was outside so I'm not too sure if he ate something wrong. or if he caught parvovirus
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 3 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about raider?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
10/23/2016
Dog Specialist: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Welsh

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

has he eaten or drank anything today?

when was the last time he ate or drank and kept it down?

how often is he vomiting?

any current meds or illness?

any chance he could have gotten into anything he wasn't supposed to or tore up/ate toys/trash, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave him pedialyte today
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't believe he ate something he wasn't supposed to
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave him peptobismol and pedialyte lastnight he would vomit every 30 to 50 minutes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe raider has parvovirus he is showing symptoms
Dog Specialist: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry I was having some connectivity issues with the site

Dog Specialist: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

With all of the things you are describing (bloody diarrhea, vomiting that often, not eating/drinking, lethargy) as well as not being fully vaccinated due to age, I am highly suspicious we could be dealing with parvo. Given how often he is vomiting ASAP. he is going to get dehydrated very quickly (I suspect he may already be due to that much vomiting) so that they can test him and start treatment to give him the best possibility of pulling through this.

certainly there are other possible causes (foreign body obstruction, pancreatitis, etc) however I think that parvo would be highest on my list.

are you able to take him in now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am.unable to take him. the vet is closed on Sundays
Dog Specialist: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

is there an emergency clinic you can go to? i am afraid he is going to get extremely dehydrated and the sooner you can get treatment on board the better chance they have pulling through

Dog Specialist: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

the biggest reason why I say he needs to be seen asap at an e clinic is that you have pretty much tried everything that you have at your resources at home and it doesn't seem to be helping. parvo becomes deadly because it depletes the intestinal lining so they cannot absorb anything they take in, and the dog eventually becomes dehydrated and passes. typically once you get to the point where they aren't keeping anything down, they need to be on IV or at mimimum subcu fluid therapy, plus medications to help with the vomiting and diarrhea. at this point you have exhausted your options available to you at home, so the only way we can get him feeling better would be to get him in and get treatment on board. the longer you wait, the worse the prognosis becomes with parvo. if there is an e clinic around you or you can get to, I highly recommend you get in asap.

are there any other questions I can answer for you today?

Dog Specialist: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

if there isn't anything else then I wish you two the best! good luck and I hope the little guy pulls through!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a star rating at the top so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh