Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My puppy is a Chihuahua and she sounds like she has Croup..

Customer Question

My puppy is a Chihuahua and she sounds like she has Croup.. Should I take her to the Vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your puppy?
Customer: My puppy is a Chihuahua and she sounds like she has Croup.. Should I take her to the Vet?
JA: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: Just Coughing
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: TinkerBell
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about TinkerBell?
Customer: She is about 16 weeks olds and is mixed with something. 1 lb. 8 oz.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that TinkerBell is having this cough going on. How long have you had her? Is she still eating and drinking well? How long ago did your vet last evaluate her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had her for 3 weeks. She is normal. Eating/drinking/playing, chasing my other pup.... Just the Croup Cough...
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is great that she's normal otherwise! Has your vet seen her and started her on her vaccines? The croup cough that she's having could easily be kennel cough - a viral / bacterial upper respiratory infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has gotten her second set of shot a week ago..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shots
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Great! That means that your vet has been examining her and hasn't found any previous big health issues. In a situation like this, if it is the upper respiratory infection - kennel cough - a lot will clear it on their own with some time, good nutrition, and their immune system. As long as she's eating well, drinking well, and seeming to not be under the weather, you could give her more time. More than likely she'll be croup like for a period of 3 to 4 days and then start to improve. Some feel that antibiotics can help speed up recovery or prevent a more serious pneumonia (but this happens not very frequently at all).