Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She seem to have very sensitive itcy skin in certain places

Customer Question

she seem to have very sensitive itcy skin in certain places on her body. I can't see anything on her skin. I gave her a bath with vet dermatological shampoo which helped some but not completely. I think it is from her swimming in the lakes this summer. Any ideas. Should I rebath her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Emme, and she is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emme,?
Customer: there are no signs of fleas and she has been treated with all summer with NexGard
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I see that you are offline at this time. Reasons for scratching absent the presence of fleas can be dry skin in which case adding some coconut oil to the daily dinner will help and I will direct you to a site for dosing of this, and another reason which is fairly common would be airborne allergies which usually come with a season change.

Of course since she was swimming in lakes you want to be sure she did not pick up any skin parasites that you cannot see. Your Vet would need to do a skin scraping to determine this and likely you would see hair loss as well.

If the scratching/itching does not go away you will want to talk to your Vet about medications for possible allergies.

coconut oil dosing, warm it up in the microwave and pour it over the food.

https://www.sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/37662913-coconut-oil-for-dogs-the-ultimate-guide

seasonal allergies http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/seasonal-allergies-and-your-pet