Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 17 years of experience in small animal medicine.
95161809

My dog may have ingested teetrea oil and blue aglee pills. I

Customer Question

My dog may have ingested teetrea oil and blue aglee pills. I know charcoal can help he is about 60lbs how much should I give my vet is closed until 10:00 tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about may?
Customer: That I'm not sure maybe 10 pills as for the oil I used it to clean a wound and he may have licked it. my fault all the way around.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. L and i'll try to help you. When did he ingest the oil and pills?

If it's with in 2 hours you can induce him to vomit and then try the activated charcoal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it was yesterday and now he is far Jake complaining of lower back pain
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We do have a bunch of this is in our backyard and I thought maybe he got in one of those in his foot and I looked at that didn't see anything

you can use 3% hydrogen peroxide about 30-50 ml (a tsp is 5ml) to get him to vomit

the charcoal is 5-10ml/#

I usually start with the low end which for him would be about 300ml. Gets messy. may want to wrap his front end with a towel and wear something you don't mind getting dirty

well if it was yesterday not sure if charcoal will help but certainly won't hurt

I'd wash the tea tree oil off with soap and water so he doesn't continue to lick it

what are the pills for? i'm not sure about blue algae pills? i know blue green algae in ponds is fatal

there's nothing really over the counter for back pain in dogs that is safe and that they can readily metabolize. he may need something like tramadol or steriod or nonsteriod or a muscle relaxant. your vet can be a better job for that

are you talking about foxtails in your yard? grass seed awns? They can certainly get in between the toes and can be quite painful. If this is what is going on you can try soaking his paw in epsom salts foot bath for 5 min a couple of times a day to start but he will need antibiotics and pain meds from your vet. He may even need surgery to probe in there to check for something like a foxtail

does this answer your questions? Is so could you rate me? I wish you luck at your vets tomorrow

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-qjcvkhmc-