Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My cockatoo has chewed his hair off near his anus and their

Customer Question
is a sore he's licking...
My cockatoo has chewed his hair off near his anus and their is a sore he's licking. This just appeared today. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mojo and he's 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mojo?
Customer: He has chewed his back in spots and has a few dry patches almost like exzema. Dark spots have started to appear on his back also. Not raised just dark spots.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That was suppose to say "cockapoo" not cockatoo. Mojo is a dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Can you post a picture on this thread of the sore area?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Thank you for the picture. It is possible if you can take another picture a little further where I can also see the anal sphincter. Thanks.

Thank you so much for the pictures. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Friend, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Mojo tonight. What you are seeing is an impacted/infected anal gland. Basically, dogs have 2 anal glands inside their rectum that sometimes the duct that drains them becomes occluded when this happens they can become infected and rupture through the side of the anus. The sore you are seeing is the area where the discharge from the anal gland is erupting; it may completely rupture through the skin. This is not a life-threatening condition, but, should be seen by the family veterinarian to have the anal glands expressed and start him on oral medications. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and make it worse. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took him to a vet yesterday. It was not related to anal glands but a "hot" spot. They gave him an oral prescription of cephalaxen and prescribed Benadryl for the itching in addition to starting him on fish oil.

Fantastic that your vet was able to verify that it was not an impacted anal gland. It did appear to me from the picture that it was the anal gland. Thank you for the update.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian