Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog is breathing heavily when lying down. He is 10.5 yr old…

Customer Question
Dog is breathing heavily...

Dog is breathing heavily when lying down. He is 10.5 yr old mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

He eats and drinks and such okay. Gets up for treats. Shows excitement. But when laying down sounds almost like me with asthma. Major

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Major. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Major?

Should I wait to take him in morning or should I find emergency vet tonight? That is what I wonder. He had blood work and 6mth check just a few months ago. All was good.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
10/18/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to see that you did not receive a prompt answer to your question last evening.

I suspect that there weren't many veterinarians online at the time you placed your question.

The other difficulty is that it is hard to tell whether a pup with breathing difficulties needs emergency care without examining him.

But for future reference I can give you some guidelines.

If his gum and tongue color are a nice bubblegum pink color he is likely stable and can wait to see his veterinarian in the morning. Blue, gray or white gums indicate a need for emergency care.

If he is able to lat down and sleep comfortably, even if his breathing seems quite loud, he is likely stable and can wait to see his regular veterinarian in the morning. Dogs that cannot lay down and sleep and end up falling asleep standing or pacing until exhaustion, only to wake after a few minutes, need emergency care.

Loud breathing is distressing for owners, and certainly indicates difficulty exchanging air necessitating an examination and some diagnostic testing, but if the pup is relatively comfortable it doesn't always need an emergency visit.

Again my apologies for the lack of response by my colleagues last night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My dog basically could have been seriously ill or dead by now. What you are telling me is stuff that can be read online. Would have been great to ask some questions last night. I understand it is hard to determine if the dog should go in but maybe a few more questions and guidance last night could have done the trick. Hope you guys enjoy the money. Know it is not much but it adds up. I will not be recommending the site in the future and am sorry I wasted the money. Major is on antibiotics and will be potentially having xrays of his heart.

I completely understand your frustration with the long period between you posting your question and getting a response. I did not want you to feel completely ignored so I responded immediately when I came online this morning. I know that is of little comfort when you are looking for immediate guidance. You should not have to pay for services that you feel you did not receive. Your deposit is just that, I don't receive any unless you are fully satisfied. I will contact customer service and ask that your funds be returned. Please make sure that your account has your correct email address so that customer service can contact you.

My best to your fellow, I hope his recovery is smooth.