Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Chihuahua is 4 years old and is not fixed yet. Wanted to

have her fixed but I...
My Chihuahua is 4 years old and is not fixed yet. Wanted to have her fixed but I took her to the vet because she had hooked up with a male poodle and Ivwas worried she was pregnant. Thank goodness she was not. They had performed an ultrasound on her and determined she was not pregnant but ask me if she had problems with her kidneys because they found her kidneys to be dilated. I told them she was healthy and urinates fine has no troubles and then they said well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your poodle?
Customer: maybe that's just how she is she was born that way but I couldn't have her fixed until they ran tests because they were fearful of putting her to sleep. I became fearful and did not have her fixed. In the past week she had developed a slightly swollen teet with a darkish discoloration and I'm not sure if she has bruised herself but I was worried about breast cancer. I am so in love with my little dog that I have been worried and have been looking for insurance to take her to the vet. I am disabled and she is everything to me. I was wondering if I could show you a picture of her hopefully brusing maybe from a capillary or something. I would really like to get her fixed but am afraid. Ok that's great
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She should be going into heat I think November.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took her outside the other day in a very large enclosed area and she ran around quite a bit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The day before yesterday the area was sore I found it because I was rubbing her belly that she loves and I knew something was ring because she whined. Today the belly rubbing seems to be ok and she is relaxing. I don't know if she just strained herself or what?
10/17/2016
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

She certainly could have bruised herself. Along the same lines as the recommended blood work for suspect kidney issues, if she's prone to these types of bruises or you begin seeing more them more frequently the blood work may help determine if there is a cause. And this would be something to know before she had any surgical procedure, for sure. As far as mammary cancer, I'm not seeing obvious signs at this time. The mammary or mammaries will become enlarged, often hard, sometimes hot and painful. If she's due for a heat cycle in 2 weeks or so, the mammaries being more enlarged than normal could be normal for her.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When she went to the vet for that possible pregnancy that was 3.5 years ago. As I said she wasn't pregnant thank goodness but why would a dogs kidneys be dilated? The vet said it may be normal for her being that she was born that way but has kept me from getting her fixed because of the fear of losing her, she's my world and has been my best friend and comfort as I have been battling cancer myself. Anyway, is there a particular insurance for animals that you endorse that would help with medical costs?

Almost all kidney disorders will cause some type of abnormal appearance on ultrasound. If this happened 3.5 years ago, she was only a puppy. She may have a condition polycystic kidney disorder where we see enlarged kidneys. The best approach at diagnosing kidney disease is to continue on with diagnostics like blood work. A renal biopsy can also be useful in determining the cause, in some cases.

I like Embrace, but like all animal insurances they will have a pre-existing condition clause. http://www.embracepetinsurance.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well she has never been officially diagnosed with anything except a dilated kidney that the doc said maybe be normal for her and never pushed the issue.

Diagnostics will tell you if this is a problem for her or not. I would urge you to have it properly diagnosed as early as possible. Many dogs can function with one or more abnormal kidneys, but you can also slow the progression of illness if you know about it early. If this is a dysfunctional kidney, she may wind up in kidney failure before you know it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh no that would be horrible
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have to get her tested

Testing is the only way to know. Blood work may be the easiest and least invasive way to start.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion feeling?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My dog is in surgery as we speak. They performed blood work on her the day before and her blood work was great. They don't believe she has mammary cancer the swelling is soft but only one teet which is odd. The vet is spading her and removing the one mammary gland and possibly the one next to it. They said by spading her it would bring her estrogens down and not so many worries of mammary cancer after that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The teet they are removing will be sent off to pathology.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I stayed with her while waiting for her surgery and even held her after they administered the shot for sedation to make her feel less stressed and safe. It was hard to feel her little body go limp, kinda lifeless but I kept talking to her she cried out once and I kept talking to her softly and rubbing her ears and neck and she finally just relaxed and flowed with the sedating.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for inquiring about her ��
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm waiting for the call that they are done and she is recovering

I'm glad to hear they are sending the sample off for histopathology. If you don't mind, I'd love an update on how she's doing after surgery and once you hear back about the results *crossed fingers*

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will let you know....it's that relentless waiting makes you crazy

It sure does! I am waiting on a histopath report to come back for a personal pet of mine. It helps to talk to others about their own pets to keep my mind off of it ;)

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse