Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 9lb doxie mix ate the fingers off a leather work glove.

Customer Question
She us now acting like...
My 9lb doxie mix ate the fingers off a leather work glove. She us now acting like she is on methamphetamine. I gave her hydrogen peroxide and she threw up the glove bits. But she is hyper, running in circles, whining, panting, and has dialated pupils. Will not let me hold her. Wagging her tail.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: There is nothing to digest. She threw 90 to 100% of it up. Her name is Winzig ("tiny" in German) and she is 3 yrs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winzig?
Customer: She is in constant motion, running, or dancing from foot to foot. Her eyes are bright and her eas up. She will not eat (unheard of ). Started almost 2 hours ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
10/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I agree with you, Charlie, Winzig is acting as if she ingested a stimulant - a prescription drug, perhaps, a metaldehyde-containing snail bait, or bromethalin-containing rodenticide. Are any of these likely?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I paid and asked my question, I had no idea that the answer would take so long. Nor did the answer provide me with and answers or recommendations. So a bit useless from my point of view.
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years.

Dr. Michael Salkin asked you for additional information in order to give you an answer 14 minutes after you submitted your question. I'm not sure how much faster he could have typed up his questions to you. He was asking these questions in order to give you an informed answer. As to the dog ingesting the gloves themselves, since she threw up most of the glove, all you can do is monitor her to ensure she doesn't develop a intestinal obstruction. Signs of intestinal obstruction are a loss of appetite, vomiting and an inability to defecate. You can read about them here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick followup to see if you read my answer aft Dr. Salkin opted out of your question?

If so, did you find my answer helpful at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had I known the answer would have been in 14 minutes, I would have waited, but after I entered my credit card to pay, I was advised that I would receive an answer within 24 hours. HOWEVER, if I join at another level, I could get an answer quicker, which I thought was a bait and switch. Had I known there was a potential 24 hour delay, I would have not continued and I would not have paid. By the time I received the response, I was on my way to the emergency vet. Just FYI, no blockage, but something in the leather (dye, tanning chemicals?) Acted as a stimulant. Winzig was wired! She was given a tranquilizer and supported with fluids to help flush her system.

We have no control over the marketing portion of the site. We are verified experts in our fields who use the site. Different experts are on at different times. When Dr. Salkin opted out, I figured I would at least give you the information relevant to the ingestion of foreign object. I'm glad to know she was ok and I appreciate you letting me know that your vet felt that it might be tanning chemicals or dyes that caused the hyperactivity. It helps for future cases wehre a dog may exhibit similar symptoms. .