Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 10.8 lb Shih Tzu just ate a benzonate 100 mgpill that I

Customer Question

My 10.8 lb Shih Tzu just ate a benzonate 100 mgpill that I dropped on the floor. She spit up but the pill did not come up. She is hungry and wants some food. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy and she was 1 year old on July 22nd
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No. She's in perfect health. Has had all her shots up to date too.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This drug { Benzonatate } is sometimes prescribed for dogs by some veterinarians at a dose rate of up to 50 mg as a single dose, at this dose rate there are rarely problems. However 100 mg is a clear overdose particularly for a smaller dog like yours and at this dose rate the side effects you may see could include numbness in the mouth or throat, and the main danger then is that it can then increase the chance of aspirating (inhaling into the lungs) water or food.

2. Because of the risk of inhalational pneumonia you should not try and induce vomiting with the likes of hydrogen peroxide but you may want to take food and water away from her for the next twelve hours to avoid the risk of inhalation pneumonia, after that she should be fine.

3. Of course if any odd symptoms do develop such as coughing of respiratory problems then you should take her to an ER vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Daisy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Daisy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Benzonatate ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?