Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog has diarrhea she's been 3 days like this what could I

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhea she's been 3 days like this what could I give her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maya She's a saint bernard
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: No not really
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Usually when we see diarrhea last over 48 hours it requires a Vet check to see if there is an underlying cause. We can try and stop it with a temporary dietary change. As long as Maya has been eating, we can fast her for 24 hours to rest the stomach. Next when we start feeding we will start her on a Bland Diet of One part boiled skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice and to this mixture add about 1/4-1/2 can of Pure Canned Pumpkin and a Probiotic like Forte Flora. The Pure canned pumpkin is a high fiber food and a natural way to firm up stools in pets. The Probiotic will help the gut flora to help with the Diarrhea. You should notice the stool start firming up within 24 hours of starting this dietary change. Please keep maya on this until you notice the stool firm and then gradually wean onto the regular dog food. If the stool gets black and tarry, has blood, or does not firm up within the 24-48 hours of starting the bland diet I suggest seeing a Vet for a blood panel stool check. My goal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 Star rating from you today.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see how Maya is doing. Wanted to see if the information was helpful and if Maya's diarrhea has cleared. Please let me know.

Joan