Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My son gave our dog a bath and used dawn dishwashing soap.

Customer Question
Hello, my son gave our...
Hello, my son gave our dog a bath and used dawn dishwashing soap. He may have gotten it in his eyes. Today, we noticed that his eyes were really sensitive to light and they were really red. It seemed the red part around the eye had inflammation and there was yellowish discharge (eye boogers) in his eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boudreaux. He is an Olde English Bulldog and he is about 5 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boudreaux?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/11/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If sounds as if your dog has developed conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye. You can clean the pus off your dog's eye with a warm washcloth. You can also flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use. Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems. This is available at some feed stores like tractor supply.

You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=251

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea. It is possible that the soap may have irritated the eye leading to the discharge. In the future, you will want to flush the eye with the sterile solution if soap gets in the dog's eyes.

Eye conditions

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/eyetrouble.html

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you need a prescription to getthe terramycin Ophthlmic Ointment or can I just buy it at the feed store?

No prescription needed for it at Tractor supply at least not in NC. It should be the same at other feed stores as well in other states.

Following up to see if you vound my answer helpful?