Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has diabetes. I give him insulin shot every morning

Customer Question

My dog has diabetes. I give him insulin shot every morning and evening at 6. Yesterday I forgot his evening shot and gave it to him at 10:15pm. I'm trying to figure out what to do this morning and how long should I wait to give him his shot. I know that after 4 hours can be a problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sam and he is 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: He isn't interested in eating breakfast this morning. We have been very regular and consistent with his rountine until yesterday... so I'm just concerned about double dosing. I'm thinking of giving him his regular shot around 8 am. Does that seem right?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we'd first want to get Sam eating properly. If he does, then you can either give him a half dose at his usual time and then return to normal dosing in the evening. Or you could delay 2 hours, give the full dose and then delay an hour in the evening before returning to his normal time/dose tomorrow. That way we just avoid a major overlap and risk of blood sugar crashes. Of course, if he isn't eating well this morning after you tempt him, then half dose may be our best approach until we can reliably get him eating and back on schedule.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
since he isn't interestd in breakfast right now (a bit unusual) - if we wait for an hour or two for him to eat and then I can give a full dose. I should then feed him and dose at 7 - 7:30 tonight for another full dose.
If he does eat right now - should I wait for a full dose or give him 1/2 dose now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I re read the answer. I've got it. He's now eating. I'll give him 1/2 dose and wait till evening to resume regular dosing. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Sounds perfect and that way we can just avoid any issue here. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.