How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 29016
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate 10 dark chocolate covered protein bars. Each bar is

Customer Question

Dog ate 10 dark chocolate covered protein bars. Each bar is 1.76 oz total but covered in real dark chocolate, the insides are not chocolate . Mostly soy crisp, tapioca solids etc He is 32 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddha?
Customer: He has eaten chocolate in the past and has had no issues
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

A 32 lb dog would need to ingest ~1/3 of ounce of solid dark chocolate per pound of body weight to become intoxicated with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors if ingested in sufficient amount. 1/3 ounce per lb x 32 lbs = ~10 ounces which is unlikely to be problematic if each bar weighs 1.76 ounces and is only covered in the chocolate. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Buddha wasn't intoxicated. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you! We are watching him. Like I said 1.76 oz ea bar covered in real dark chocolate so basically he should be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. Correct, there just isn't enough chocolate to cause any more than transient GI distress. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long would it normally take to see the effects? If it's two hours and no symptoms are we in the clear?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Most likely, yes, but theobromine can become problematic many hours after ingestion. It's not likely, however.