Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She ate some multi vitamins, Ohana and she's 3 lab about 70

she ate some multi vitamins JA...
she ate some multi vitamins
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ohana and she's 3 lab about 70 - 75 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ohana?
Customer: no
10/9/2016
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

About how many vitamins did she eat? How long ago did it happen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like it happened in the last two hours and it was probably somewhere in the 6 - 10 range
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm reading the vitamin bottle and it looks like its equal to about 4 days worth of vitamins. She also appears to have gotten some 5 hour energy bottles probably 2.

Ok I think that will be alright and not a toxic amount. Usually they just digest the vitamins and urinate out what their body does not need. That being said there could be some gastrointestinal upset.

You may see some lethargy, lack of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea.

The 5 hour energy could be more of a problem. It could cause elevated blood pressure and rapid heat rate.

If you notice any excessive panting, restlessness, rapid or pounding heart rate when you put your hand on her chest, or hyper-excited behavior she needs to see the ER vet right away.

If it has been 120 minutes all she ingested is already in her system and it will not help to induce vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just keep an eye? Any idea how long is most dangerous period?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will water or food help or hurt?

If you do not feel comfortable monitoring her you can take her into the ER clinic where they can watch her until this evening. Then if she has any issues they can treat her symptomatically. The can also give her medications to bind the caffiene in the 5 hour energy caffiene.

Food and water are fine.

I would watch her for 12 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what does bind the caffeine mean?

If it were my dog, and knowing the price at the emergency clinic, I would watch her.

If you have to go to work or leave her for more than a few minutes then drop her off at the ER clinic for observation.

That means it binds to the caffeine so that is prevents it from affecting her body.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok that's helpful. And someone is here to watch her all night so I think we're ok doing that. I do have the info on the emergency clinic if we need it. THANK YOU

You are welcome. Hopefully she will be fine.

If she gets an upset stomach you can give her one 10mg tablet of Pepcid or 75mg of Zantac. Those are human over the counter stomach acid reducers.

But you do not have to do anything if she is perfectly fine.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian