Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog ate underwear and has been acting funny for the past

Customer Question

My dog ate underwear and has been acting funny for the past few days. He isn't eating very well. We did give him some bacon - which he ate. He also had a small bowel movement today. Unfortunately he has been eating grass outside and trying to make himself throw up. He has puked a yellow foamy substance twice today after eating grass. Not sure what to do because it is Saturday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 9 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

So, I need to ask a few questions first. When did Bruno eat the underwear? Has he been eating his dog food? Is he on any medications? Have you given him anything else, besides the bacon?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He ate them on Wednesday. We are not sure how many pairs he ate because the housekeeper did not close the door to the laundry room. He passed some last night in his stool but still is acting funny. He also isn't interested in food which is very strange. He has eaten a little bit of dog food but not much over the past 3 days. And really the 6-7 strips of bacon is the most I've seen him eat. He won't even eat a dog treat right now. He is not on any medications.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have been able to walk him outside several times today.

With that additional information, I would recommend that you take him to a local emergency clinic. If he has not eaten hardly anything for three days and is acting funny, then he likely still has some underwear in there. The emergency clinic can at a minimum put him on iv fluids to help his gastrointestinal tract keep moving things along in the bowel. Because he has defecated some underwear out, we know the intestinal tract is moving, but it will slow and make it more likely for him to become obstructed because he is not eating and pushing things along. I would avoid giving him any high fat foods, because we don't want him to develop pancreatitis on top of the underwear issue. Do you have a local emergency clinic you can take him to?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you. There is an emergency clinic that we can call. It's just very expensive and I was on the fence about taking him. At this point, it sounds like that would be the best option. He is still drinking water but I've fluids would be better.

your welcome. I was an emergency veterinarian for over 15 years and have seen a lot of ingested underwear. The iv fluids serve two purposes: rehydration and keeping the intestines motile. Hopefully, he will be able to pass any additional underwear and not require surgery. Please post any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my answer. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating. Take care and I would love an update if you don't mind.

Hi Christy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bruno. How is everything going?

katjadvm