Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She ate chicken with hot sauce, Daisy she is 2 years old,

Customer Question
She ate chicken with hot...
She ate chicken with hot sauce
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy she is 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: She is a small dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
10/7/2016
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Daisy. Did this hot sauce have garlic or onion in it? How is she doing right now?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is adog

Yes - I know, thank you. Did this hot sauce have garlic or onion in it? How is she doing right now?

I can't take live phone calls at this point in time, but we can chat via this window

I'll wait to hear from you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is a dog that ate hot sauce she is a shitsu

Yes - thank you. Did this hot sauce have garlic or onion in it? How is she doing right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pepper vinegar salt

OK - thanks for that. I'm typing up a response now and will have this with you in the next few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she seems fine but when she eat she throws up yellow stuff

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Thankfully the hot sauce itself isn't toxic with those ingredients, but you are going to have to keep a close eye on Daisy as she will likely be quite nauseous right now.

For now, make sure Daisy has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. In the meantime, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As she is nauseous and has been vomiting, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Daisy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian