Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has been acting a little strange for almost a week.

Customer Question

My dog has been acting a little strange for almost a week. She is an in house dog but does wander around the yard and sometimes gets into neighbors yard. Her tail is swollen from the base about 3 inches down her tail. She can still wag it just fine but moves it to the left or right of her rear. She initially did not want anyone to touch it but now allows it. She is sitting just fine and seems normal other than that. She doesn't whine or anything but has started to walk a little different with her hind legs. I'm not sure what's wrong, I can't find anything on Google that says what is wrong please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Is there any possibility of injury or trauma?

How long has it been like this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. It has been about a week, maybe less.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No possibility of trauma. She was sprayed by a skunk about 2 weeks ago but was fine after a bath.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should I send a video?
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

That swelling is usually due to some sort of injury or over-use. Since the tail doesn't seem to be painful to her, I think that the best thing to do would be to just keep an eye on it for a few more days. If possible, try to keep her calm so that she's not wagging it so much, which would cause retraumatizing of it.

If it's not better in a week or so, then you should have your vet take a peek at it and maybe take an x-ray to see if there is some sort of injury there. They may want to take an x-ray or get her on some medications to help with the swelling, but since she's not acting painful, then just keeping an eye on things right now would be what my game plan would be.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I may have worded some of that wrong. She definitely acts like it's painful. She allows me to touch it but tucks her rear down. She doesn't cry when I do, she kind of acts like she wants me to touch it but she is surely in pain. She can sit and lay just fine. I'm wondering if a video would be more helpful for you to understand what I am saying, it's very hard to describe in words. Please let me know. I would like to take her to the vet friday but I really would like some clarity on what could possibly be wrong.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Okay...great. That actually helps me even more feel like this is some sort of injury.

If you wanted, you could try some plain old over the counter aspirin (ONLY aspirin...we never use acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium in dogs as it can be toxic even in very small amounts). A dog her size could have 1 regular strength (325mg) aspirin once every 10 hours or so.

Try to make sure to give it with some food to avoid upsetting her stomach and don't give it for longer than a few days without touching base with your vet.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Honestly I felt the answer was a little generic and didnt help me at all. I was very impressed at how quickly you responded but I felt you didnt ask enough questions to really understand what I was asking, I am no further with having an idea whats wrong with my dog than I was before I asked the question. Naturally I am taking her to the vet, but I wanted to have some insight into the possibility of what could be wrong so I could do more research.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

I'm more than happy to provide more insight if you'd like...but of course, in this sort of medium it's hard to figure out what is going on for sure since we can't see the dog...but I'm more than happy to try to help further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do appreciate your Speedy responses and your concern. She can wag her tail just fine like I said there's swelling about 3 inches from the base of her tail going down it she seems very sensitive when you touch around that area and initially she didn't allow you to even go near it. Her rectum is not swollen or showing signs of anything wrong with it her rump seem sensitive as well meaning both sides hurt tail I just was wondering what's some possibilities might be so I can further my research I tried the aspirin I don't notice a difference.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Since she's sensitive to the touch and it's swollen, I'm still thinking that what we're dealing with is some soft tissue inflammation from trauma of some sort....however, you could do a little research on something called "Lab tail" or "Cold Tail" and see if that fits any of her symptoms. Normally the dog is really sensitive to touch for longer than a few days with that, but it's possible that she's got a high pain tolerance.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Morgan. How is everything going?

Lisa