Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 5 year old that I have had since 5 months old and I

Customer Question
have an 11 month...
I have a 5 year old that I have had since 5 months old and I have an 11 month old that I've had since he was 7 weeks. They have had little scuffles before but today was really bad and now they can not be near each other. They are Bully breeds the young one is very active and always wants to play and joke with the 5 ur old but the 5 year old wants no part he wants to play only when he wants
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Today got bloody and messy and 500 at the vet. They are both more then my children and it is breaking mine and my husbands hearts.we do not want to get rid of anyone and break up our family
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: 5 year old - Samson
11mnth old - Opie
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the 3rd time they have gotten into a serious fight in about 10 months so bad they needed to be pulled apart.About 3 days ago I found out I am pregnant. I don't know if they know yet and are reacting to me also. But when this fight started I was not in the same area
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neither of them are neutered
9/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

They are not likely reacting to your pregnancy but the younger dog is maturing and so there is more testosterone in the home. I strongly suggest you have them neutered as you do not want this fighting in the home when the baby comes. The longer they fight now the more of a learned behavior it becomes so that they eventually see each other and a fight breaks out.

I need to ask you a couple of questions to better help you.

What do they do if you try to take a valued item from them such as a bone, food, toy etc?

What do they do if another dog takes a valued item?

How often are you training them in obedience on a daily basis?

Does one or the other dog start a stare down before the fight begins?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Samson the older one is very obidient. His whole life including when we first got Opie we could by hand take a gone from Samson with no issues, when opie started sharing his toys he started to get territorial of them and would growl if we tried to take it, but ideally if we go into a deep voice and say drop it with the puppy not being near he will. If one of them take a bone from the other and any kind of growling occurs or we see it we take the bone and neither get it I'll put it on higher ground table shelf etc. If one wants it and the other gives it up with no issues and there is no hard feelings no one gets mad we let the other keep it. We do not train train on a daily basis. Opie the 11month old will walk and stop next to Samson and freeze, put his paw on the other older ones face and starts to stir problems that usually when we break the concentration and get them into something else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have them separated but every time they get near each other through the crate the younger one starts growling and hair stands up and he starts going at the older one. The older one lets it go for a few minutes before he starts growling back.

Thank you for that information. So it does sound like you are dealing with possession aggression which can escalate over time whenever any possession is in the area, even if neither dog wants it at the time, they will still want to possess it.

Your best bet is to start the learn to earn program with both dogs and put everything up, especially anything of value. Train the younger one on a daily basis in obedience so you can give the leave it command so he does not antagonize the older one.

AT this time you will want to keep them in separate rooms until they are desexed, daily training has begun and is showing success and the learn to earn is in place.

I am going to direct you to a link that goes over the learn to earn. I will also direct you to clicker training as positive training works best.

Once you have put all of the above into place you may need to do some behavior adjustment training to bring them back together.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf

Dr sophia yin learn to earn https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program/

Training method BAT http://empoweredanimals.com/

http://empoweredanimals.com/BAT-basics.pdf

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant