Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has loose stool and she's drooling and that's not

Customer Question
normal for her JA: I'm sorry...
My dog has loose stool and she's drooling and that's not normal for her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a 3 year old German Shepard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sasha?
Customer: Lately she has not wanted to go outside in the backyard on her own. We almost have to force her to go outside. We've noticed her loose stool beside instead of going outside she's been doing it downstairs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
9/22/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did the loose stool and drooling begin?
2) Is she on any medications?
3) Any changes in her diet? new treats? human food?
4) Any blood in the stool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The drooling has stopped but it was very odd for her to drool. The last time she was drooling was back in February when we got a new puppy and it was like some sort of stress response. She has had looses stool for about 3 days. She is not on any medications, no blood in stool, no new treats and she sometimes does get table food scraps

Drooling can be a sign of many things from excitement to stress to nausea. In this case, it's likely associated with a GI upset since she is having loose stool.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help her stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach, especially if we suspect nausea with the drooling, and a bland diet with higher fiber to help firm the stool. If you do not see a marked improvement from her or you see worsening of symptoms, she absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian