petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a puppy (Yorkie teacup) that I have had a little over

Customer Question

Hello! I have a puppy (Yorkie teacup) that I have had a little over a month. Yesterday, she started having cluster seizures. (Nothing longer than a minute or two). Her teeth chatter, her head shakes and she begins to drool. She then wants down to run around and whimpers. I took her to the vet. All labs came back WNL. They gave me no meds but said maybe I should see a Neurologist. The breeder said he thought it was hypoglycemia (the vet didn't check BG) and so I started her on Karo syrup every hour--no seizures since. But.... She is now a 'shell' of a dog. She seems out of it and my husband is constantly telling me he thinks she has brain damage. She's not active or the same as she was before the seizure. (Doesn't respond to her name or toys). Is this permanent? I'm scared for her and don't want to see her suffer if it is. Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I agree that she needs to be evaluated by a veterinary neurologist. It is possible that she could have suffered brain damage due to the seizures, but there are other possibilities. The possibility of a congenital portosystemic shunt is high based on her age, breed and symptoms you describe. These can occur even if her bloodwork was normal. This is often confirmed with a specific blood test called a bile acids test, but in some cases, more advanced imaging studies are needed. Here is a link with more information in regards ***** ***** and how they are confirmed and treated.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z