Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Is this automated? My dog got into the trash in the bathroom

Customer Question

Hi, is this automated?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My dog got into the trash in the bathroom and ate a condom
JA: The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 15 weeks
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

1) How much does Molly weigh?
2) Was this condom in a package or used?
3) How long ago was the condom eaten?
4) Is she still eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 pounds
Used
1 hour ago
Yes she's eating and drinking normally

There are a few choices here. Because the condom is soft and she's eaten recently, you can induce vomiting which should bring up her last meal and the condom. If you go this route, use a FRESH bottle of peroxide and plan to have her vomit into a container lined with a fresh trash bag. This will minimize mess and allow you to take the trash out after she's done vomiting. A small trash can or cat box works great for this: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

You can also continue to feed and water her normally and watch for it to be passed in her stool. Many condoms pass right through but the smaller the dog the higher the risk that it may not. If it doesn't, she may need surgery to remove it.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800