Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have an 8 yr old miniature min pin mix she was spayed a

Customer Question
year ago. Today she...
I have an 8 yr old miniature min pin mix she was spayed a year ago. Today she has been throwing up and it looks like she's bleeding a lot as if she was in heat but it's big poodles
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?
Customer: She's not a poodle she is a miniature min pin mix
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
9/5/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you seeing blood from her vulva or in her stool?
2) Is she forming pools of blood when she lays? walks?
3) Do you have pictures to share?
4) Is she eating and drinking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure where it's coming from. I thought she had spotted in the house but then I noticed it was really dark so I thought she had diarrhea. Then I was noticing three or four places where she threw up. As soon as I would get one cleaned up there would be more. She's not forming pools when she lays down I think it's when she is walking. I don't have pictures but I will try to take one. She did Drink a little water. I tried to give her some pumpkin filling but no.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pee per in the house
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried taking her to 2 Bayfield hospitals but they were booked and would not her. My son and I drove from one end of town to the other for about an hour and everyone was closed (labor day)

I will give you some directions to use at home, but it would be preferable to have her examined today and at an ER facility if no one else is open. Blood in the GI tract and vomiting can be symptoms of very serious conditions including hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, gastric blockage, cancer, etc. Symptomatic treatment is very important to her successful recovery. If this happens to be coming from her vulva, she absolutely must be examined today. If pools are forming at even random intervals, the risk of her bleeding to the point of becoming anemic is substantial.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is acting like she feels ok. She doesn't act like she is pain are there other symptoms I should be looking for

Keep an eye out for persistent vomiting and diarrhea, intestinal cramping, refusal to eat and drink, etc. Currently with the blood and vomiting she's showing more than enough concerning symptoms for an examination to be recommended. She does not need to be painful for her to be a case we would consider critical.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your girl doing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

JACustomer, are you needing a phone call?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The same we took her to the er on Monday and they did blood work but found nothing wrong with her . Shes not bleeding but she is constantly pushing like she has to push. Just a little liquid comes out. She will drink but she won't eat

The lack of blood is a good sign. What foods have been offered thus far? Did they place her on any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have tried can pumpkin, boiled chicken, peanut butter cheese and yes they gave her med. But we are having diffuculty giving it to her because she won't eat

What medication is it that they prescribed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure I'm at work

Let me know what was prescribed when you get home. I'll be on until roughly midnight and I'll see what other support I can offer.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse